Do you need a fully custom design to match your one-of-a-kind book? Let us build your design from the ground up, taking into account your unique audience, market, and tone. We can even build you a template package for your specific series or brand.
What Is Included
All custom design packages include the following:
- Research & development for design specific to your subgenre, audience, print provider, and other needs
- 1-2 custom design concepts for you to choose from (custom design concepts will include premium fonts, not open-source free fonts, unless you request otherwise)
- 1-2 rounds of revisions on the concepts
- Full-book, page-by-page typesetting
- Placement for custom extras (like illustrations, tables, etc.)
- Corrections after proofreading
- Print-ready PDF
- Distribution-ready ebook
- Lifetime guarantee against typos & tech changes (if you find any typos in your book or if technology advancements break your book file, bring it back to us and we’ll fix it at no additional cost)
Expect custom design to take 4-8 weeks from the project’s start date. This time frame includes time for focused design work, any revisions you request, detailed typesetting, and time for you and your proofreader to review the files before they go to press.
Start dates depend on our designers’ availability, which can vary depending on the time of year and the number of requests we receive. If you have a specific publication date in mind, send your custom design request at least a month before your desired start date and at least two months before your planned publication date (you want to make sure you leave time to get a printed copy and some wiggle room for unforeseen circumstances, especially if your manuscript is longer than average).
Each custom design package price is unique to the book at hand. We determine pricing based on book length and design complexity after we have more details about your book. Below are our minimum prices:
- All-inclusive (minimum): $500
- Print only (minimum): $340
- Ebook only (minimum): $225
The book design process has a series of steps and stages.
- Each custom design project starts with your request for a quote. We’ll ask you a few details so we can give you an accurate quote based on the complexity of your book.
- Once you approve the quote, we’ll ask you questions about your subgenre, audience, comparable titles, and design preferences so we can be sure to create a design that suits your book’s niche. We’ll also ask for your frontmatter and a few chapters to work with.
- One of our trained designers will create 1-2 concepts for you to review. Each concept will show your frontmatter and up to two chapters in the chosen fonts and styling. You can ask for revisions at this stage so your interior design really matches your vision.
- After you approve the concept, your designer will typset the entire book—including layout for images, tables, and other custom extras—to our meticulous standards for the smoothest reading experience possible.
- You receive a PDF for proofreading and final checks. We recommend using a professional proofreader. Remember, proofreading is a time for minor changes for errors in grammar, usage, formatting, and continuity. It is not a time for revisions or rewriting. If you don’t already have a proofreader in mind, check out our parent company, Looseleaf Editorial & Production.
- Your designer inputs any proofreading changes and finalizes your print-ready PDF and your distribution-ready ebook.
- You’re ready to publish!